MN Student Statesmanship Institute is a week-long summer program that prepares teens to embrace their role as Christian disciples and leaders through stretching and fun-filled, real-world experiences!
During the week, students receive biblical worldview teaching, and are surrounded by Christian leaders and mentors who invest in students academically and spiritually. The real-world experience and dynamic, faith-filled environment combine to build Christian character, instill purpose, and equip young people with relevant life-skills.
Leaders on the Horizon
SSI was developed in the mid-90s by James Muffett and other Michigan team members whose vision was to train the next generation in statesmanship, citizenship, and biblical worldview so that students could be equipped to apply biblical principles to the world in which they live.
Culture in Minnesota has increasingly deviated from biblical principles. The Minnesota Family Institute believes that a key element in restoring a culture’s society is raising up Christians who are equipped with godly character to be leaders in their families, schools, and professions.
When Tom Prichard of Minnesota Family Council went to Michigan in 2013, he saw SSI in action and was struck by the unique and dynamic experience it offered students. Upon returning, he felt the Minnesota Family Council needed to bring SSI to Minnesota.
SSI is a catalyst that engages students to shift their focus toward serving God in every area of their lives!
Learn to Lead
The Way to Learn is to Do!
SSI-MN is rooted in the idea that the best way to learn something is to do it under the guidance of professional coaches. The SSI experience launches students into action as they utilize critical thinking, teamwork, strategic planning and public speaking in an engaging, competitive environment.
Breaking the Curse of Low Expectations
In an article about marketing to young people, Justin Layfield wrote, “Don’t expect students to do too much.” This often reflects society's low expectation for young people. One teacher in Michigan felt that his students would have trouble handling the rigorous requirements of the program. However, after seeing his students challenged through SSI, he saw them rise to a whole new level, and said, “One thing is certain. We are not demanding enough from these students!”
The SSI experience drives students to engage at a level far higher than our culture thinks they are capable – and students LOVE it!
Young People Need and WANT to be Challenged
It is amazing to see the consistent response of teenagers when they are presented with a vision bigger than themselves and are challenged to step outside of their comfort zone. Any reluctance is usually followed by an incredible sense of exhilaration after accomplishing much more than they ever thought they could.
- Cultivate the desire in young people to discover God’s design, purpose, calling and destiny for their lives.
- Help young people develop a comprehensive biblical worldview in order to apply God’s eternal truths to every area of life.
- Impart knowledge as relevant for our everyday world and not just confined to personal spiritual matters.
- Inspire young people to be godly leaders in their generation.
SSI Faith Principles
- The Bible is the inspired, infallible and authoritative Word of God.
- There is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- The Lord Jesus Christ, the only Son of God and the Savior of all humanity, was conceived of the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, lived a sinless life culminating in His vicarious and atoning death through His blood, bodily resurrection, and His ascension to the right hand of the Father. He will come a second time at the end of this age.
- Regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential for salvation, which is by grace, through repentance and faith in what Jesus did on the cross.
- It is the present ministry of the indwelling Holy Spirit that enables the Christian to live a godly life.
- There will be a resurrection of both the saved and the lost; those that are saved unto the resurrection of life, and those that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
- There is a spiritual unity of all true believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.
Christiana Nuñez - Program Coordinator
Originally from Perry, Michigan, Christiana first experienced SSI as a reluctant student. After graduating out of the program and volunteering as an ADC, she became the Director of Programs at SSI Michigan. A certified cosmetologist and world traveler, Christiana loves cooking and is a cooking show fanatic.
Amanda Hage - Administrative Assistant
Before becoming the administrative assistant, Amanda enjoyed three years volunteering for SSI, first as an Aide-de-Camp and then as the Print Media Coordinator. A published author of historical fiction, her interests vary widely, from music to medicine. When Amanda is not at the office or working on her latest novel, she can usually be found enjoying the out-of-doors.